Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Central and South America advise

Hi Guys,

I'm a photographer and am travelling from Mexico to Argentina on 27/10/09 till 27/04/10. The point of my trip is to do a photo story on the effects drug and gang culture has on normal people living in each country. The idea is to do a story in each country but with each being interlinked so at the end I'll have a more rounded picture of life in Central and South America.

I've been doing a lot of research and have a few things planned in a few different countries which I'm still investigating. The issue I have though is that without having been to the region before it is quite hard, even with a lot of reading, to get my head around how things work in each country.

What I'm looking for are tips and possible ideas on people and places to shoot in each country. Does anyone know of any drug rehabilitation institutes, charities set up to help people effected etc? Any bits of information anyone has would be really appreciated, and if anyone has any other interesting stories/events that you could recomend I would also be really interested in hearing about them.

Thank you for your time,

Travel America

There is an increased, global risk of terrorism. No country is immune from a terrorist attack, and no person is immune from becoming a victim of an attack. If you are planning to go travelling independently and are perhaps a little apprehensive, this site is for you.South America, however, is a much bigger story, overwhelming in scale and scope and offering the full gamut of experience, from alpine skiing in Patagonia to navigating the upper reaches of the Amazon.

if anyone out there has taken one of these free tours, could you let me know how it was. I'll be staying overnight in Istanbul that night and wonder if I can bring my suitcase on the tour bus and ask the driver to drop me somewhere in town (near my hotel) at the end of the tour, instead of returning to the airport and first getting a taxi back into town.

Any insight would be helpful! (The Turkish Airlines helpline folks have not responded to my email but I thought some fellow Gappers might be able to offer advice.)

There is an increased, global risk of terrorism. No country is immune from a terrorist attack, and no person is immune from becoming a victim of an attack. Terrorists have little regard for civilian casualties and in many cases, attacks are designed to maximise casualties.

Although New Zealand travellers are unlikely to be targeted deliberately, they are usually indistinguishable from any "western" tourist, and frequent places where other western tourists are found. This puts New Zealanders at the same risk as others.

Wherever you are, you should keep yourself informed about the latest alerts and stay aware of your surroundings in areas where large numbers of people congregate, such as shopping malls, markets, monuments, demonstrations and on any public transport.

Foreigners have been caught up in kidnappings and bombings in a number of Central and South American countries, most notably in Colombia and Peru where the Shg Path is active in remote coca growing areas in the central region. The FARC, which conducts frequent bombing campaigns, is active in Colombia.

I've been doing a lot of research and have a few things planned in a few different countries which I'm still investigating. The issue I have though is that without having been to the region before it is quite hard, even with a lot of reading, to get my head around how things work in each country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast