Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peru to Bolivia

Default Peru to Bolivia

Hello,
    I am on a bit of a time crunch but would really still like to fit in a day tour to Uyuni if it is possible!

I am finishing my Salkantay Trek in Peru on Aug 14, spending the 15th there then taking a night bus to Copacabana to spend a day at the floating islands then I am wondering whether it is possible to take a night bus directly to Uyuni the night of the 16th, do a day tour, and then return to La Paz on the 18th. I have a very early flight on the morning of the 19th out of La Paz.

Please let me know if this is possible as I would really like to experience the salt flats!!!

Thanks!
    Travel America

Has anyone taken the Sicilian Volcano Trail trip. It looks very interesting...there aren't a lot of departure dates and none seem to be guaranteed. I was wondering just how popular this trip is...
    Even if you haven't been on this particular trip I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who has visited the Aolian islands and Mt. Etna.
    Thanks,
    Linda

The Collao Plateau Is the geographical space, where ancient and Important cultures like Pucara and, later, Tiahuanaco, appeared.This is the region where, according to the legend, Manco Capac and Mama Ocllo emerged from the sacred Lake Titicaca to found the Inca Empire.

During colonial times, the Spaniards established In Puno attracted by its mineral richness, bringing new cultural, social and economic Patterns along. The city of San Carlos de Puno was founded in 1668 and the priests, eager to convert the natives, motivated them to build beautiful churches.Floating Uros Islands The floating islands of the Uros Indians. We took a 30 minute boat ride from Puno out to the floating islands situated amongst the reed beds in the shallow waters of Lake Titicaca. These islands are constructed from tortora reeds, as are the houses and boats. The island is about a metre thick and needs to be continually maintained as the reeds below the surface rot. The Indians make souveniers and handicrafts to sell to the tourists who visit the island.

The Peruvian president Alan García, left, and his Bolivian counterpart, Evo Morales, have signed a deal allowing Bolivia to build a port near Ilo, on Peru's Pacific coast. Photograph: Getty Images

It might be a strip of sand without even a jetty but a small stretch of the Pacific coast now harbours Bolivia's dream of regag a coast and becoming a maritime nation.The museum also suggested that Coca Cola used to contain small quanties of cocaine, although this was removed in the early 20th century. Even today, the company allegedly uses a non-narcotic coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant, the only plant authorised by the US Drug Enforcement Administration to import and process the coca plant. Lecture over!!!

The Peru–Bolivian Confederation (or Confederacy) was a short-lived confederate state that existed in South America between 1836 and 1839. Its first and only head of state, titled Supreme Protector, was the Bolivian president, Marshal Andrés de Santa Cruz.

The Confederation was a loose union between the states of Peru (by this time divided into a Republic of North Peru and a Republic of South Peru, which included the capital Tacna) and Bolivia. Since its inception the confederation was seen as threat by influential politicians in the neighboring countries, and its support for Chilean and Argentine dissidents in exile caused Argentina and Chile to wage war separately against the confederation. The Confederation collapsed after being defeated by a combined Chilean and Peruvian dissident force in what is now known as the War of the Confederation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast